Friday, October 23, 2015

K-Wave Victim

I love anything about Korean.
It is obvious isn't it?
I like Korean food, I like Korean drama, I like Korean singer, and variety shows. But, I am still the 'odd' Chendani who prefers something that is out of the heat. Anti-mainstream? Not really! But, I guess... I always fell over a drama, singer, movie, or actors that are not so known by others. It is always me. It works the same way with other genres. I generally prefer Indonesian movies over Hollywood movies. Same with this whole K-wave thing. While others love Running Man, I love 2days and 1 night more. While others have watched "My Sassy Girl"and claimed it as the best Korean movie, I chose "Seducing Mr. Perfect" and "My Father" as the best Korean movie. Yes! Both are starred by Daniel Henney. No... I did not pick it because of Daniel Henney despite his super masculine look (Yes! I totally fell for him), but because those movies brought so much more about Korea to me.
I am just saying that I love Korea Wave with a different current than the others. I can say that I was a little bit late, love something that is not really common about it, and I love the food because of the food, not because of Korean drama or whatsoever. Nevertheless, I am still one of the victims of K-wave.

As a starter, Korean drama was just like a fresh start to begin the K-Wave journey. I think every person in my age agree that we fell for Hotelier and All About Eve. Jang Dong Gun and Bae Young Jun era everybody! However, I was not really crazy about them, I just acknowledged that those were good dramas.I was not instantly getting into Korean wave. Instead, my mom fell for it so much in early time. She was madly in love with Bae Young Jun. She even joined the fanclub and flew to South Korea for April Snow screening. HAhahaa, yes... my mambo did it.
Ever since she came back from Korea, we were more and more into Korean food. I loved the utensils. I started eating ramyeon in a pot just like in the Korean drama. The first real Korean food I tasted was in 2006, in Brisbane Australia. Oh yes... I have been enchanted by the authentic taste of the broths and fell for Kimchi even more.
I think Korean drama and Korean food brought me trough all the K-wave journey. Then, in 2008 or 2009, I encountered Korean movie called Seducing Mr. perfect - casts; Uhm Jung Hwa and Daniel Henney. I could not remember how I met with this movie. Gaaah. I was in love. First, Daniel Henney was too hot. Secondly, the story was fresh and fun. Lastly, I bought the soundtrack. They were delighted. It took me to a surprise that South Korea has jazz (Of course it has the genre you moron!). The song was amazing. It brought me to a singer named Alex who is in a band called Clazziquai. Everybody else may love Super Junior or Boa, but my first favorite Korean singer was Clazziquai, an electro pop slash jazz trio. I instantly downloaded the whole album (OST). Well, I like Princess Hours soundtrack as well, but I was really surprised hearing this song. I am basically a jazz lover, so I did not need any other reason to be in love with it.


Then, it was my Korean movies era. I watched so many Korean movies including My Father (Yes, Daniel Henney in it again). My most fave K-movie. It was a story about an adopted Korean child who seeks of his biological parents. Daniel Henney proved his emotional acting whilst I admitted how mellow Korean movie can be. I discovered a Happy Sad Ending term here. It was enough to make me cry, but not because of sadness. It was beyond words. That powerful. (you may also check My Son, Little Prince, harmony, and Miracle cell number 7). 


  There were more Korean movies similar to this one added to my fave list, but anyway I think I have watched both these movies many times and still liked it. Then, it came to me the Variety Show era where I started with "We Got Married." It was all Alex's fault. He was one of the members and he was too romantic. We Got Married was so dreamlike show. It made one male and female celebrities hung out together just like a married couple. It was like a cruel show to make us 'live like a dream.' haha It was too surreal. They acted like a real couple even though they were not closed at first. Anyway, I was one of those who immersed into the show up to season 2. I haven't seen We Got Married for 6 years now (Yes, the program is still running). That show has made me know more about K-pop.  The theme musics  were so nice. Then, I knew about Yurisangja, Linus Blanket, Sung Si Kyung, Shinhwa, and finally.... Sweet Sorrow!
I did not love Sweet Sorrow at first. I thought it was just a skinny male group dancing and singing, but I was so wrong! They are so great in harmonization. Acapella and jazz, my dynamic duo. I would just love anything when these two involved. They got both. Enough said.
Wait a minute! I thought that I just met them in We Got Married show, but nope... I actually have heard them wayyy before We Got Married. It was in Seducing Mr. Perfect OST. The ending song. I thought it was sang by Alex as well, but later I figured that it was sung by Sweet Sorrow!!!. It was a very ear-catchy jazz tune.



More and more Korean shows. X-Man, Love Letter, Family Outing, and even Running Man, but I think I was so into Korean variety show after I had a tv cable at home. We got KBS World. Mammamia, Immortal Songs 2, and the cutest of all was The Return of Superman. I could see why people nowadays love Korean show so much. From lovey dovey, food, trip, crazy game, and heartwarming emotion. They all have those in the show. They put it altogether finely. All the interactions are natural yet entertaining. Unlike Indonesian show nowadays. It just makes me sigh... Full of trashy conversation and one's weak point. It is just unhealthy to watch.
X-man

Living without TV, I am depending on streaming show. Every week I wait for Immortal Songs 2 and The Return of Superman new episode. Both are my ultimate favorite show. I haven't got bored seeing those two. Immortal Songs 2 as I have posted in my other blog, is a complete course of what Korean music world can show. Through it, I knew more about the past of Korean songs, I knew more about the ability of those musicians, and how fun they are in the studio. They teased each other, praised each other, and moved each other's heart trough their singing. Many re-discovery here. Moon Myung Jin and Ha Dong Qn found their place in the music industry again after a long absence.
Moon Myung Jin

I also found new face of Korean music. A fun Rock band - Rose Motel, A husky vocalist - Jo Jang Hyuk and the Male Bada. Not to mention, the sexy singer, JK Kim Dong Wook. I watched them in Immortal Songs 2, and I am freaking in love with them. That stage has had many things happened. Fun rendition from Ulala Session, a story telling from Ali, and many more. In short, I know more about Korean music. Additionally, I was introduced to Korean Musical actors and singers. South Korea has many adaption of Broadway - Rent. (Please check the Barbettes, Im Tae Kyung, and Mamammoo). Not to mention, I begun to know all the singers from the past as well. Names like Yoo Jae Ha, Kim Gun Mo, Lee Moon Sae, Pearl Sister, Deul guk hwa. Haha, Ah I just love this show. It makes me to be totally in love with Korean Music.
Deul guk hwa


And this year is my Korean Drama year I may claim. I have watched more dramas than the previous years. I can say my taste is a bit stirred because of MISAENG. It ruins everything. Hahaha, After Misaeng euphoria, I was really picky about drama that I watched. Sometimes, I left the show without finishing the first episode, some other time I jumped from episode 8 to the last episode for the ending sake. Dang it. However, indeed. Korean drama is so popular. They are really well made. Every TV production has their own thing. We have a high-fashioned complicated story or fun rom com from KBS, we have twisted and revenged base drama from SBS, we have medium tone drama from MBC, and well-crafted drama fram tvN. It is just so dynamic.

In the end... the main reason why I love South Korean shows because it is heartwarming. From Superman Returns, to singers and songs, to KPop Star hunt, to drama.

I bravely state that K-wave is a beautiful disaster for me. It is just a legitimate note that K-wave has moved me to the point where I can't move anymore. Overwhelmed.
I am a fan...
that's it.

I put a list of my favorites for several categories for fun...

Hotelier
Top 5 Favorite drama that I would like to re-watch
5. Hotelier - I love this show. And while others are crazy about Bae Yong Jun, I enjoy seeing Kim Seung Woo here hehehe
4. Triple - I love boys brotherhood!! as simple as that!
3. Oh My Ghostest - Hello Jo Jeong Seok!!
2. What's Up - my first encounter with Jo Jeong Seok and all those musical lyrics
1. Misaeng - Yes? YES!

Top 5 favorite movies that re-watch is OK
5. Little Prince
4. My Son
3. Miracle cell number 7
2. Take Off
1. Seducing MrPerfect/ My Father






Lee Kyeong Yeong
Top 5 favorite actors that I would watch the drama or movie no matter what
5. Lee Gyeong Yeong - my latest discovery. This ajhussi knows how to act and how to maintain his glorious youth charismatic look.
4. Kim Myung Min - The guru of method acting
3. Lee Dong Wook - just because I think his smile is contagious and those long legs
2. Daniel Henny - OH PLEASE!
1. Jo Jeong Suk - good looking, good acting, good singing. What could I ask more?

Jo Jeong Seok

Kim Seul Gi
Top 5 favorite actresses that I like to see in the drama
5. Park bo young; proven!!!
4. Kim Seul Gi; quirky but fun acting indeed
3. Kim Mi Kyung; My favorite Ajhuma...
2. Song Hye Kyo, I still think she's the prettiest!
1. Han Hyo Joo :)



Top favorite Shows
5. Kpop Star/Superstar K - I love the surprise that the contestant gives
4. 2 days 1 night season 2 - Season 2 casts are crazy men! I love they have Cha Tae Hyun, Joo Won, Sung Si Kyung
3. X-MAN - This is the ULTIMATE show that I will never forget.
2. Superman Returns - who is the fan of Lee Seo Un and Seo Jeon??? ME!!!
1. Immortal Songs 2 - all said

Top favorite Singers that I would purchase the original album
5. Lee Juck - he's a good composer and his voice is so soothing!
4. Mammamoo - My favorite girl group indeed
3. Ulala Session - My favorite boyband!!
2. Jung In - Falling for her voice
1. SWEET SORROW! no need reason here ;)
Mamamoo

It is why I also hesitate to visit South Korea. Since I have known too much about it. Secretly, I feel a bit scared to go there hahaha...
However, one day... I must go there...

Top 5 things I want to experience there
5. Seeing Misaeng building and visit the film location, take a picture with the company id!
4. Eating jeon and drinking Mak geoli, eating chicken while drinking beer
3. CD hauls for sure, and maybe a little grocery cosmetic shopping
2. Experiencing staying in the duplex or visiting a university
1. Go to NAMI island!!

"One International"


Hahahaha, I surrender. I am K-wave overloaded. But, it is indeed fascinating how powerful the influence is.
And one day... for sure...
I will visit this source of wonderful storm in my life, South Korea.

Please check My latest blog; it will be about review - Let's Talk which will be updated biweekly.



Cheers
CVB

No comments:

Post a Comment